Oral Histories

Edd & Isabelle Provonsha

Edd & Isabelle Provonsha

The Indians used to come over to our place a lot in the summer time. The folks would always feed them, and sometimes give the squaws some of mother’s old dresses that she couldn’t wear. She would always wash, starch and iron them, and always had to have something for each squaw that came, or their feelings would be hurt. One old buck Indian that used to come around a lot was named Wash. He used to talk to Dad by grunts, groans, and throwing his arms around! I don’t know how Dad understood him, but he did.

When I was between six and seven years old, Dad told Wash to get him a good gentle pony for the papoose, pointing to me. Wash said, “Me get um pony!” In a few days he came back with a little bay pony. Dad had ordered me a little saddle, bridle, blankets and the works! Now I had a horse and an outfit all my own. We called the pony Man-dew-ten, after Wash’s boy. But this pony had a few tricks. I had to cross a little bridge when I would leave for the Post Office, and every time this pony would start over the bridge, then back down. He would do this twice, but the third time he would be in high gear and wouldn’t slow down until we made the half mile run to the first gate, through that and on to the next gate, through that to the hitching post at the company ranch house where the Post Office was.

After three or four years, I sort of outgrew this pony and outfit. So Dad told Wash to bring another pony for me…a better one this time! Dad had sold the first one, and I was back to riding Bracket, the one I started on. How I watched and waited for Wash to come. Finally one day he brought a nice little dapple gray pony, that called for another new saddle and outfit, which arrived Christmas morning. How I loved that pony! I rode all day up and down the road not stopping to eat dinner, or until I got so cold Dad took me off and sent me to the house. The years went by, and Dad had lots of horses. I could have my pick. When I was 13, he bought me another new outfit and saddle, but this time he said. “Now sis, this is the last. If you ever get another new saddle, it will be from the next guy.” At that time I did most of the riding after the cows, as Dad was getting crippled up and it hurt him to ride. My work wasn’t all on a horse; I had house work, ironing, dishes, and some cooking, besides chores, outside and in.

Now I had a brother 3 years younger, and a sister 6 years younger than I. When I was 14 Mother thought it time to make a change in things. So she rook us to Grand Junction, and put us kids in church school, where I met Edd Provonsha. August 16, 1914, Edd and I were married. My folks gave us one hundred acres of land to get us to stay at La Sal. I had three head of horses, and four or five cows. We saw some good times and a lot of hard ones. Some times we ate beans, sometimes we had bread to go with them. We had four children: Dan, Marie, Harold, and Safrona. We really never went hungry or cold. Somehow with the Lord’s help we managed. We laid Safrona to rest Wednesday, April 2, 1947. She was 19 years old. She was hit by a car while she was standing talking to some friends.

Now the rest of the children are gone, and have families of their own. Edd passed away March 6, 1976. Now, at almost 81 years later, I sit here alone thinking of the many changes I have seen in my life time. From the saddle horse to the fancy driving horses and buggy, the old Model T Ford, and other cars.

There is a lot more things I remember down through the years, but I think I’ve said enough for my family to remember me by. As of this writing I have 10 Grandchildren, and 14 great grandchildren. Something you might not remember—your Grandma Helen was married twice, both times on January 13. Was sick 13 days and died the 13th.

Love to all of you, Mother

Read the other Oral Histories